I realize that I tend to be long-winded, so I decided to write a 10-word race recap for each of our 50in100 half marathons for your abbreviated enjoyment:
- Nevada: Unreal to run the strip. Race that started it all.
- Arizona: Dessert race with little crowd support. McCain fired a gun.
- Louisiana: Kristin forgot shoes. Big easy had big potholes. Awesome medals.
- Tennessee: Did not race together, should have: hot, humid, hilly, hard.
- Washington: Point to point with highway running. Yummy post race donuts.
- Pennsylvania: Debilitating injuries overshadowed by historic meets modern meets nature course.
- Nebraska: Congested start. Kristin sings "Omaha", motivates. Not flat as advertised.
- West Virginia: Super small race. Near freezing temps. Heisman pose at finish.
- Texas: Freight train stoppage. Ran past Alamo in Sombrero with YTri.
- New Mexico: Large rock laden dusty trail at elevation. Definition of “meh”.
- Hawaii: No shade, hot, depressing highway course. Ensuing Ocean swim glorious.
- Florida: Very dark start, gorgeous sunset, progressively challenging course. Water belly.
- New York: Kristin prevails over sickness - Times Square worth weight in gold.
- New Hampshire: Freak snow storm. Belly dancers distracted from consistently hilly course.
- Utah: Snow covered mountains, fast downhill course, discovery of Farmer’s blow.
- Oregon: Knowledgeable, supportive crowds. Road bacon. Sprinted Hayward Field to PRs.
- Delaware: 100% humidity equals sweat drenched. Rolling hills. Slippery plank bridge.
- Minnesota: Cobblestones to Stone Arch Bridge. Heat fatigued runners passed out.
- Colorado: Incredibly beautiful mountain scenery. 10,000 foot elevation toppled our enthusiasm.
- Vermont: Awesome foliage. Rolling hills climaxed with run up ski slope.
- Ohio: Spectacular flyover. Run entirely on military base. Aircrafts lined finish.
- South Dakota: Tough opening 5k; gorgeous downhill compacted Mickleson Trail. Running nirvana.
- Maryland: City disappeared too quickly. Windy course; some hills; zombie spectators.
- New Jersey: Double down weekend on boardwalk. Not overly scenic, enjoyed finish.
- Wisconsin: Ran around sewage smelling lake; lasagna and beer quite enjoyable.
- Oklahoma: Route 66 was freakishly cold. Final 5k into hurricane winds.
- California: Perfect running weather in old Hollywood laden desert. Lumpy roads.
- Arkansas: Well organized. Gradual six mile uphill battle. Arkansas Governor cheered.
- Virginia: Donned green beard and shamrock shades. Post race party shamrocked!
- Illinois: Crisp Fall morning; enjoyed jaunt through vibrant Moraine Hills Park.
- Missouri: Hilly, humid, super windy. Enjoyed run through beer country/ Arch.
- Kentucky: Ran Churchill Down with horses. Kristin and Matt destroyed PRs.
- Indiana: Toasty conditions; toasted five year anniversary on Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Idaho: Gorgeous lake views overshadowed single file running on tight course.
- Wyoming: Stunning Grand Tetons backdrop worth "breathing through straw" altitude effects.
- Michigan: Sweated Cabernet on hilly vineyard course. Celebrated with wino friends!
- Iowa: Perfect weather; ran like Deere through forested park; fast field.
- Connecticut: Chilly start, well organized, fun race. Mesmerizing Memorial Arch finish.
- Rhode Island: Wet and windy run past picturesque Newport Oceanfront and mansions.
- North Carolina: Hurricane Sandy couldn't stop race through OBX/ birthplace of aviation.
- Mississippi: Unusually grateful volunteers and carefree pace led to uncontrollable smiling.
- South Carolina: Avoided early race wreckage. Appreciated elevated Broad Creek Bridge views.
- Alabama: Rocket propelled run through epicenter of 1950's civil rights movement.
- Georgia: Southern states finale, survived heart pounding climbs around Augusta National.
- Kansas: Wizard of Oz outfits elicited cheers; ran alongside Ultramarathon Champion.
- North Dakota: Pre-race 5k built confidence, but tested endurance. Fanatical crowd support.
- Massachusetts: Tight city streets birthed riverside run. One month post marathon-bombings.
- Alaska: Majestic views of Anchorage/ Cook Inlet overpowered mouthfuls of Mosquitos.
- Montana: Hotel snafu didn't diminish enjoyable jaunt in crisp mountain air.
Extra Credit (not officially within the 50 state challenge):
- Washington, DC: Toured nation’s capital in head turning attire; slurped mid-race Budweiser.
- Puerto Rico: Uncanny heat and humidity; challenging race past ancient Spanish fort.